April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month. Nearly half of all drivers feel less safe on the road than they did five years ago because of distracted driving.
The Quiz: Do You Know the Correct Facts?
One of these facts is incorrect. Can you spot it?
- Sending or reading a text takes your eyes off the road for 5 seconds. At 55 mph, that’s like driving the length of an entire football field with your eyes closed.
- Drivers spend more than half their time focused on things other than driving.
- 20% of drivers age 18-20 said texting does not affect their driving, and nearly 30% of drivers ages 21-34 said texting has no impact.
- Federal estimates suggest that distraction contributes to 5,000 fatal accidents a year.
- Voice to text offers a significant safety advantage over manual texting.
Scroll down to see the correct answer.
What Can Parents Do?
The Great Multitasking Lie
The incorrect fact is #5. Voice-to-text offers no safety advantage over manual texting, says a study conducted by the Texas A&M Transportation Institute.